MERZ occupies the former lemonade factory in Sanquhar, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.
The site includes the self-contained Bothy residency, the adjoining 60m sq workshop/gallery, a tool shed and store set around a brick paved yard beside a small wooded area. MERZ offers a quiet setting close to the centre of a small rural town in Upper Nithsdale.
MERZ provides residencies for artists, authors, makers and architects. The Bothy is a flexible living space for two (with a mezzanine for a further two). The workshop/gallery enables artists to make new work and run workshops and seminars. The adjacent A’ the Airts community arts centre offers a fifty seat theatre/cinema with café and can be booked for larger public gatherings.
Sanquhar is on the rail line between Glasgow and Dumfries.
The area has a thriving network of artists, makers and authors. Local schools and community organisations have been engaged in projects at MERZ. MERZ can involve Summerhall TV, who film arts-news clips and documentaries for www.artinscotland.tv, social media and local TV channels in Scotland and abroad.
MERZ is a not for profit centre. Grants are not available and the monthly fee for the workshop/gallery and accommodation (and filming where required) compare favourably with local commercial rates.
MERZ workshop and accommodation is also wheelchair accessible.
Residency Program to commence Spring 2018
Type of organisation
- Two weeks to two months
Number of Artists resident at one time
- One, a couple or a small family (maximum four)
Expenses paid by artist
- Accommodation in Bothy
- Open call if stimulated by reading ABOUT on our www.merz.gallery site
- To achieve a balance of pursuits and local/artistic engagements throughout the year which engage with local artists and/or the community
Description of residency
- 19th century brick paved former Aerated Water factory
- Historic rural town in Upper Nithsdale in South West Scotland
- Domestic Resources
- Self-contained building
- Kitchen with fridge/freezer, washing machine, cooker and hob
- Living and sleeping area
- WiFi with TV reception
- Wet room with shower etc
- With toilet, shower and kitchen area for exclusive use of the resident (or otherwise by arrangement)
Other activities happening in the workshop/gallery space
- None unless by arrangement with the artist
How to reach
- From London via Carlisle to Sanquhar
- From Glasgow to Sanquhar
- Nearest airport Glasgow